We acknowledge the Traditional, ancestral, unceded territory of Caldwell First Nation; the original people of Pelee Island and its surrounding waters. We recognize and respect the First Nations who are stewards of the land and waters of Turtle Island and who have embraced this stewardship since time immemorial. We would also like to acknowledge other nearby First Nation communities and First Nations across Turtle Island.
The Main House is comprised of two old farmhouses; both moved to the current location at different times. In 1883, Ohio merchants Schoephle and Gfroehr owned a 90 acre farm with the Main House across from the old Schoolhouse on Stone Road ; within what is now known as Stone Road Alvar. The tenant farmer on the property and original resident was John Jupp. The Jupp farmhouse was moved to its current location in 1905 then a second home was added to the back of the original structure in 1920. Mismatched original hardwood floors inside the Main House giveaway where the two structures were joined. John + Margaret Jupp are buried at the North Bay Cemetery on Pelee island. From farmstead to hunting lodge and bed and breakfast; the The Wandering Dog Inn has stood at the corner of East West Road for over a century and welcomed people from around the world.
Formerly known as:
- Gillis Lodge
- Mill Point Lodge
- The Tin Goose Inn
- The Wandering Pheasant Inn
excerpts taken from A Bicycle Guide to Pelee Island